Below is a roundup of info on the power of solar white papers, SunPower’s terrific commercial solar website, and two recent articles on industry trends.
Groundbreaking Law Changing Utility Business Models
By Jennifer Runyon for Renewable Energy World
In Hawaii Takes Historic First Step Toward Creating ‘Utility of the Future’ Now, Runyon reports on the groundbreaking law, the Ratepayer Protection Act, just passed in Hawaii. The law directs state utilities to alter their business models and charge based on factors related to customer satisfaction like affordability, reliability, renewable interconnectedness and efficiency as opposed to something like capital expenditures. The article goes on to assert that the main reason for the law is that utilities have made the process of using solar (plus storage) on the grid so difficult that homeowners may simply begin to defect and go off-grid en masse. If that happened, which is possible given that the state is committed to going 100% solar by 2045, it would threaten the viability of utilities in Hawaii. Runyon then describes the new metrics the Public Utility Commission would consider regarding incentives and penalties and characterizes this policy shift as one that could have global implications. I would also recommend a perusal through the article comments, which are quite interesting.
Key quote from State Sen. Stanley Chang: “At the end of the day the utility of the future has to be one that is performing all of these different metrics. That is the one that is going to survive…Otherwise the death spiral thing is a real thing.”
White Papers for Solar B2B Marketing
What white papers can do for a solar marketing strategy:
- Help position a company as an industry expert and trustworthy advisor
- Drive traffic to a company website via keyword optimized text and through uses on social media channels
- Keep communication open with a lead during their deliberation process
- Are used by salespeople to add weight to their sales presentations and function as leave-behinds
- Can nurture a prospect at points all along the sales funnel:
- Generating leads and educating early on
- Demystifying the sales process and clarifying the benefits along the middle
- Locking the sales in at the very end with facts and figures about technical considerations and ROI
- Are often written for the various business decision makers such as technical factors explained for the lay person, the economics of solar for the CFO, how to find qualified contractors and assess bids for the facilities manager
- Can be repurposed for blog posts, slideshares, and infographics
A white paper can nurture a prospect at points all along the sales funnel.
White papers fall into three formats: a soft sell persuasive essay offering a solution to a problem, a numbered list of insights about an issue, or a hard sell description of a product’s technical or business Keep reading